Reverse engineering (RE) is a method to recreate your product or design to sustain future development, to extend product life or remanufacture to satisfy customer demand.
It generally involves importing Gerber data into a CAD system and then rebuilding the file – saving time and money.
Why is reverse engineering needed?
In many cases, machinery or products can be discontinued, or the owner of the CAD files may have lost them. Sometimes manufacturing data files have been lost, and in other cases CAD files are in an old legacy system – unable to be accessed.
In many cases, there is a business case for reverse engineering a product’s PCB design files for re-manufacture.
Reverse engineering that’s simple and efficient
In many cases with the advances in technology, the design can be simplified and made more efficient – for example by reducing the number of chips used.
In these cases the circuit boards can be made even better – extending product life and improving efficiency.
- Lost tooling
- No CAD Files
- No manufacturing data
- Non supported CAD files
- Obsolete Parts
- Poor quality data
- 2D to 3D conversion
- 3D scanning
- Generate up to date BOM
- Migrate CAD files
- Re-Generate CAD data
- Replace obsolete parts/circuits
- Scan old drawings
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Increased product lifecycle
- Increased product revenue
- Lower change costs
- Reduced manufacturing costs
- Reduced overheads
What Our Customers Say
- We have been working with Quantum CAD from the outset of the development of our product. They researched the manufacturing requirements for PoP technology and engaged with PCB and CEMs from the outset. From the first prototype build, we had a product that was ready for production. I would not hesitate in recommending Quantum CAD PCB Design services to anyone.
- Communicating with Quantum CAD was straightforward; the changes were implemented quickly with no hassles. The finished board was better than we expected… Once we gave the approval to start the PCB layout, the job was completed to our satisfaction and within our time frame.Senior Development Engineer, CEM Systems
- We have used Quantum CAD for many years now and they have consistently provided us with an excellent PCB design service. They have always demonstrated a high level of skill, experience and flexibility, while constantly meeting the tight schedules we often require.Principle Engineer, E2V
- Quantum CAD have a great knowledgebase for PCBs and design work in general, several times they have made technical suggestions which we incorporated into our designs. We have always found Quantum CAD to be very accommodating where quick turnaround was needed. In terms of quality and service I truly believe that Quantum CAD will not be beaten and that is why they are our number one supplier for outside company design work.Business Development, Zarlink Semiconductor
- The Quantum CAD team provided SMARTA with valuable technological input in developing requirement and design specifications in partnership with ourselves. Their in-depth knowledge of the various technologies involved helped us to better understand how they could be used, leading to a more feature rich and advanced product. They have consistently delivered work to the highest quality standard. They have always demonstrated a professional and knowledgeable approach and have kept us updated on progress throughout the projects. I would have no hesitation in recommending their services to others.Managing Director, SMARTA Systems
- It has always been necessary for Panasonic to have support of the highest quality and we recognise Quantum CAD as a reliable, diligent and professional company that have always been prepared to extend themselves around tight timescales.Principal PCB Designer C.I.D, Panasonic Mobile Communications
Value Engineering – Scientific Equipment
Project: Our clients marketing team identified a new requirement based on an existing product. However, the product was from an old range of equipment and the design data was archived on an obsolete CAD system. Gerber files, PDF of the schematic and a BOM were the only files available. The client did not have the internal resource or capacity to achieve time scales required.
Value Engineering – Power Unit
Project: Our client had an automotive control unit where the major COTS part had become obsolete. A new unit with the part replaced to satisfy service and warranty responsibilities was urgently required. However the original design files had been lost and only Gerber, PDF of the schematic and BOM files were available.