Project: A Tacho Distribution Unit designed for use in the Track Recording Unit
Our client, Network Rail required a Tacho Distribution Unit designed for use in the Track Recording facility which controls and maintains the UK’s rail infrastructure. The TDU needed to comply with Railway standards and fit in a standard 19” rack system
The challenges facing us were:
- To design a product to replace an existing complicated system with increased functionality
- To reduce internal cabling
- Increased durability compared to previous systems
- To meet product lifetime requirements
The actions we took to address the challenges were:
- Component selection was critical to enhance the products functionality and performance.
- The use of flexible ribbon cables where possible
- Durability of assembled product needed to be assessed for vibration.
Our actions resulted in:
- A product that met all expected criteria.
- A neat and tidy design.
- Reduced manufacturing costs due to ease of assembly.