Reverse engineering (RE) is a method to recreate your product or design to sustain future development, to extend product life or remanufacture to satisfy customer demand.
It generally involves importing Gerber data into a CAD system and then rebuilding the file – saving time and money.
Why is reverse engineering needed?
In many cases, machinery or products can be discontinued, or the owner of the CAD files may have lost them. Sometimes manufacturing data files have been lost, and in other cases CAD files are in an old legacy system – unable to be accessed.
In many cases, there is a business case for reverse engineering a product’s PCB design files for re-manufacture.
Reverse engineering that’s simple and efficient
In many cases with the advances in technology, the design can be simplified and made more efficient – for example by reducing the number of chips used.
In these cases the circuit boards can be made even better – extending product life and improving efficiency.
- Lost tooling
- No CAD Files
- No manufacturing data
- Non supported CAD files
- Obsolete Parts
- Poor quality data
- 2D to 3D conversion
- 3D scanning
- Generate up to date BOM
- Migrate CAD files
- Re-Generate CAD data
- Replace obsolete parts/circuits
- Scan old drawings
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Increased product lifecycle
- Increased product revenue
- Lower change costs
- Reduced manufacturing costs
- Reduced overheads
What Our Customers Say
- We have been using Quantum CAD’s services as an extension of our own CR-5000 PCB Design facility and have found them to have a very professional approach to all aspects of PCB design and are keen to form a sound working/business relationship to enable both parties to benefit. This helps to reduce the liaison time when undertaking design tasks. They are always our first port of call whenever we have a design overload within our PCB Design department.Senior PCB Designer, Renishaw PLC
- It has always been necessary for Panasonic to have support of the highest quality and we recognise Quantum CAD as a reliable, diligent and professional company that have always been prepared to extend themselves around tight timescales.Principal PCB Designer C.I.D, Panasonic Mobile Communications
- Ultra Magicard have been using Quantum CAD for many years and we have been impressed with the high level of service provided. They have great knowledge in PCB design and various technologies which have helped us design our products to the highest standard. Quantum CAD always strives for continuous improvement. We invested and joined their web enabled product design platform, CXInsight. This has allowed us to work collaboratively, sharing design information, changes and project status, seamlessly over the web, ensuring access to the correct file revisions and visibility of the project at all times. This has improved the quality of design that we have developed together.Engineering Manager, Ultra Magicard
- Alcatel Submarine Networks have used Quantum CAD PCB Design Services for many years and have always found them to be more than capable of providing an excellent quality service.CAD Group Leader, Alcatel Submarine Networks
- We have found the service Quantum CAD provides to be of a high level and we are particularly pleased with their engineers’ flexibility and availability …Quantum CAD has shown good commitment in helping us reach our scheduled targets by making enough manpower available to complete the task in the required time.Project Leader, Panasonic Communications Co. (UK) Ltd
- Quantum CAD completed the project in a professional manner and interacted with both pcbportal and our clients effectively. Despite incomplete information, Quantum CAD delivered upgraded Gerber files to project completion date. Our customer was happy and we have pencilled in future projects for Quantum CAD to work on.Quality Manager, pcbportal.com
Value Engineering – Scientific Equipment
Project: Our clients marketing team identified a new requirement based on an existing product. However, the product was from an old range of equipment and the design data was archived on an obsolete CAD system. Gerber files, PDF of the schematic and a BOM were the only files available. The client did not have the internal resource or capacity to achieve time scales required.
Value Engineering – Power Unit
Project: Our client had an automotive control unit where the major COTS part had become obsolete. A new unit with the part replaced to satisfy service and warranty responsibilities was urgently required. However the original design files had been lost and only Gerber, PDF of the schematic and BOM files were available.